Skip to Content

Deceased Estate

Dealing with the death of someone you know is far from easy. We understand you have a lot to focus on at this time, so we’ll try to make things as easy as possible.

IMPORTANT: UBank deceased estates are managed centrally by the NAB Bereavement Support team.

Step 1 – Notify NAB Bereavement Support team as soon as you can. 

Alternatively, visit the Australian Death Notification Service – a national, government service which enables you to securely notify multiple organisations (finance, insurance, utilities, etc.) in one action.

Note: NAB is currently centralising all notification of death processes across the organisation. In the meantime, you may need to separately discuss this case with other parts of NAB, if the deceased was a customer of nabtrade, JBWere, Medfin, HICAPS or NAB Insurance.

Step 2 – To protect the estate, we will block all accounts owned solely by the deceased, which will prevent further debit transactions, including fees, direct debits and periodical payments. This includes removal of any redraw capacity in home loan facilities which the deceased may hold jointly with another borrower. Until they’re closed, they’ll continue to receive credits (like interest and deposits).

Step 3 – Before we can provide any details, we’ll first ask for proof of death (e.g. a death certificate or ADNS notification) and proof of authority to act for the estate.

Also, as each estate is different, the type of documents we'll need may vary. We’ll be in touch to discuss this.

Step 4 – Once we've confirmed the authenticity of the estate representative(s), we will provide detailed information about the accounts held in the sole name of the deceased and make changes to the accounts as instructed by the estate representative. We may request additional documents at this stage depending on the circumstances.

Step 5 – We finalise the Estate. Once we receive all the required documents, we’ll close the relevant deposit account(s) and transfer any funds as per the estate representative's instructions. With home loans, if you’re planning on refinancing the loan, or to add or remove a borrower, let us know and we’ll help with the changes.

Keep in mind, with joint home loans, you’ll continue to receive statements and any correspondence addressed to yourself and the deceased’s estate, unless you refinance to a single borrower loan.


To finalise the Estate, we will ask for the Deceased Estate form below to be completed by the Estate Representative (e.g. an Executor, Solicitor) and sent along with certified copies of required documents (which may be verified) to

Unless an Estate Representative is a UBank or NAB customer, certified copies of photo ID of each Estate Representative should be posted to:

NAB Bereavement Support
GPO Box 2067
Melbourne Victoria 3001

Certifying copies of original documents

When we request copies of documents, such as a Will, we need them to be certified. For information on how to certify documents correctly, please check out the links below.


Funeral expenses

If there are sufficient funds available in a personal deposit account, you can ask us to pay directly to the funeral service to help cover funeral expenses. If you’ve already paid the funeral expenses, you can ask us for a reimbursement. If there aren’t enough funds in the account, we can still make a part payment with the money available.

To do this, we’ll need to receive an email from either:

  • The Executor, or Administrator acting for the Estate; OR
  • The person who organised or paid for the funeral themselves.

The email will need to include the tax invoice (if you haven’t paid for the funeral) or a tax receipt (if you have already paid). You’ll also need to include a certified copy of the Death Certificate.

If there are surplus funds left in the account after funeral expenses have been paid, you’ll need to provide a completed Deceased Estate form along with the required supporting documents to retrieve those funds.

We’re here to help

For any assistance feel free to contact us via:

Glossary of common terms


Person(s) appointed by the Supreme Court to manage a deceased person’s Estate where there is no Will. They’re responsible for administering the deceased person’s estate.

Estate Representative

An Estate Representative is legally authorised to act on behalf of the Estate such as an Executor, an appointed Administrator, Next of Kin or Solicitor.

Death Certificate

Official document provided by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages containing the information registered when someone passes away, including the date, place and cause of death.


An Executor of an Estate is the person(s) named in a Will, responsible for administering the deceased person’s assets and property as instructed. They make sure all expenses (e.g. funeral costs, debts or any outstanding invoices) are paid and any remaining assets are distributed to the beneficiaries stated in the Will.

Grant of Probate

A Grant of Probate is an Order from the Supreme Court stating that the Will has been proved to be the last and proper Will of the Will maker, and permits the Executor(s) to sell, collect and distribute the estate assets to the beneficiaries.

Letter of Administration (LOA)

A document granted by the Supreme Court that appoints a party to administer the estate, when the deceased did not leave a valid will.

Reseal of Probate

Enables the Probate granted in one State or Territory to be effective in another.


A Will is a legal document that clearly sets out a person’s wishes for the distribution of their assets after they pass away.

If there is no Will, the Next of Kin will need to act on behalf of the Estate or an Administrator will need to be appointed by the Supreme Court in the State or Territory where the assets are held.


For any complaints relating to the handling of deceased estate, visit for information about the procedures for lodging a complaint with NAB.

If you subsequently feel that the issue has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you may contact our external dispute resolution scheme. External dispute resolution is a free service established to provide you with an independent mechanism to resolve specific complaints. Our external dispute resolution provider is the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) scheme and can be contacted at:

Telephone: 1800 931 678 (free call)
Email address:
Postal address: Australian Financial Complaints Authority
GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001